4 Best Uses for British Airways’ Avios & Other Exclusive Airline Membership Perks
Airline loyalty programs are designed to reward customers for their loyalty by offering various benefits such as: B. Free flights, upgrades, lounge access and other exclusive benefits. Among these programs, British Airways’ Avios is one of the most popular and widely used in the airline industry.
Find out: 11 groceries to buy at Dollar Tree
See: 3 signs you’re serious about boosting your credit score
But the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. In some cases, British Airways Avios can be quite lucrative and offer some of the best redemption opportunities. In other cases, however, the fees and surcharges leave passengers with regrets.
So that you don’t regret your choice, let’s look at the best use cases for Avios. We will also analyze some other perks that British Airways offers.
What are British Airways Avios?
Avios are the currency you earn when you join the British Airways Executive Club. You can earn these points when you fly, but also when you shop for daily groceries, book a hotel, or hop on an Uber or Lyft ride. In particular, you can collect Avios by flying on British Airways and its partner airlines. You can also collect Avios with co-branded credit cards and purchases from program partners.
The redemption value of Avios may vary by flight and class (economy, business class, etc.). Customers who use Avios strategically can save money on their travel expenses by taking advantage of the programme’s exclusive perks.
Take our poll: How much salary would make you happy?
Best use for British Airways Avios
British Airways Avios is a loyalty program that allows customers to earn and redeem points for flights, hotel stays, car hire and other travel expenses. Here are some of the best ways to use British Airways Avios:
- Book an award flight: Of course, one of the best uses for Avios is booking an award flight. However, there are many variables that can affect which flights offer the best redemption. For example, longer flights on British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus consume disproportionately more miles than shorter flights. However, the opposite is true when you use Avios to book flights on partner airlines. So it’s best to compare a few flights before booking.
- seat upgrades: You can also use Avios to upgrade your seat. You can upgrade flights you have already booked or use your points to book a new flight. In addition, you can upgrade a cash booking to the next cabin, subject to availability.
- Hotel stays and car rentals: In addition to flights, you can book hotel stays and car rentals with Avios. British Airways works with many hotels and car rental companies and you can use Avios to offset the cost.
- partial payments: With British Airways, as with some other loyalty programs, you can use Avios as part payment. This is useful when you want to use points but don’t have enough to cover the entire cost of the flight.
More exclusive benefits of airline membership
Avios are far from the only benefit you receive as a member of the British Airways Executive Club. British Airways offers its loyal customers various benefits depending on their membership level and class of service. Here are some of the most notable benefits:
- lounge access: British Airways offers you access to 30 dedicated British Airways lounges and more than 100 partner lounges worldwide. Anyone with at least a Silver Executive Club membership generally has access to lounges, but this is subject to capacity restrictions.
- Priority boarding: Once you’ve achieved at least Bronze status with British Airways, you’ll gain access to priority check-in and boarding. Gold members receive first class check-in and boarding.
- Additional baggage allowance: Those who achieve at least Silver status with British Airways can take an extra bag at no additional cost.
- level bonuses: With the British Airways Executive Club you can collect status bonuses. Bronze, Silver and Gold statuses give you point bonuses of 25%, 50% and 100% respectively.
- companion coupons: You can earn a Companion Voucher on British Airways by spending enough money on any of the branded credit cards. When you collect the voucher, you will receive a second Economy Class seat for a companion traveling on the same flight.
British Airways Avios offer its members several benefits. With Avios you can book award flights, including flights that you book partly with points and partly with cash. With Avios you can also book hotels and car rentals. Another benefit of Avios is the ability to upgrade your seat.
But the British Airways Executive Club has a number of other benefits. For example, depending on your membership tier, you can get lounge access, priority boarding, tier bonuses, and more. Anyone who flies frequently with British Airways and its partners should definitely take advantage of all the benefits of the programme.
More from GOBankingRates