If you are passionate about journalism, motivated and curious – and would like to gain experience working in a major newsroom – please note: The Globe and Mail is now accepting applications for our 2023 summer job program. We are hiring for multiple paid 12-week contract positions across a variety of newsrooms, all offering the opportunity to build on your existing skills and develop valuable new skills in a challenging and fast-paced, but also supportive, newsroom environment.
The program will run from early June through Labor Day 2023. Successful candidates will be paid under the newsroom union agreement at a starting rate of $1,117.85/week. Available positions include:
- Reporting: Reporting news and/or business stories;
- Editor: structure editor for news, art, travel and business reports;
- Programming/Audience: Curate stories for all Globe and Mail platforms and newsletters;
- Visuals: Visual storytelling across all our platforms (background in digital/print design, photo editing and data visualization is taken into account);
- Podcast: Book and schedule guests for The Decibel, conduct research and prepare and edit interviews; Interviews for clarity, time, continuity and impact.
These are not internship positions. In each of these roles, the summer program staff stand in for regular Globe and Mail staff during our busiest holiday season. Successful candidates are assigned a mentor for the duration of the program and also have the opportunity to network with journalists in the editorial office. Many of The Globe’s full-time employees began this program.
Applicants must have previous journalistic experience. This could be freelance writing and editing; Work on your school’s print, our online publication; or your own business (newsletter, podcast, blog, etc.). University graduates and final year students are welcome to apply. We’re also interested in hearing from journalists who have made an impact without having attended a J-School program or worked at a traditional media outlet.
To apply, send an email to [email protected] until Sunday, October 30th, 2022, 11:59 p.m.:
- Your CV with relevant experiences as an attachment. Be sure to highlight any experience in news or business journalism.
- A 100-word explanation, also as an appendix, of what you would bring to The Globe and Mail. Why should you be selected?
- Three examples of your work with links.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada by September 2023.
Please indicate in the subject line of your e-mail which position you are applying for. If you wish to apply for more than one position, please do so by submitting separate emails, each stating in the subject line the position for which you would like to be considered.
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to each one personally. Individuals selected for interview will be contacted by November 25th.
To prepare for your interview, we strongly encourage candidates to spend time with content on The Globe and Mail, including on social media. (Those with a valid student email address can sign up for a $1-per-week digital subscription.)
Written by Globe editors, our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters give you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.