There are several Blue Screen of Death errors that users have faced on Windows 11 and one of them is “BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO” also known as error 0x74. According to Microsoft, it is usually corrupted registry files or corrupted BCD data. In this guide, we share the best methods to fix Bad System Config Info error in Windows 11. You can repair the registry manually or use some native command line tools to fix Bad System Config Info error automatically. With that in mind, let’s go ahead and read the detailed instructions.
Fix Bad System Config Info Error in Windows 11 (2022)
We have provided several ways to fix Bad System Config Info error on Windows 11. From basic methods to advanced registry fixes, you can find them all here. So, expand the table below and look at the desired solution.
1. Restart your Windows 11 PC
First and foremost you should try restarting your PC. Whenever you are hit by a BSOD error (Bad System Config Info error in this case), restarting the PC usually fixes the problem. So hold down the power button on your CPU or laptop and shut it down.
After that, press the power button again to boot your Windows 11 computer. Now use the PC for a while and check if Error 0x74 aka Bad System Config Info is fixed or not.
2. Run Startup Repair
If a normal reboot doesn’t fix the Bad System Config Info error on your Windows 11 PC, it’s time to boot into the recovery environment and perform an automatic startup repair. Here’s how to do it.
1. First shut down your PC completely. Now turn it on and shut it down again when the Windows loading icon appears. Then turn on your PC and shut it down again in a similar manner. Do this 2-3 times, and Windows will be forced to load the recovery environment. It says “Preparing automatic repair” or “Please wait”. Let the process complete and then move on to the next step.
2. When you are on the recovery screen, select “Expanded options“.
3. Then open the “Troubleshooting” Menu.
4. Finally, click “jumpstart“. This will restart your PC and try to fix the Bad System Config Info error on Windows 11.
3. Run the SFC and DISM scan
There is an excellent built-in utility in Windows 11 called SFC and DISM that allows you to repair corrupted system files and components with a few commands. If you are still facing Bad System Config Info error on Windows 11, this command line tool might come in handy. Here are the following steps:
1. Similar to the instructions above, boot into the recovery menu and click “Troubleshooting“.
2. Then click on “command prompt“.
3. A command prompt window will open. Now run the following command. This is attempted Repair the damaged system components in Windows 11. Note that the process will take a long time, so be patient.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
4. Then execute the SFC command to Check file integrity of your Windows 11 PC. This process attempts to fix the Bad System Config Info error on your Windows 11 computer.
5. Once the scan is complete, Restart the PCand check if the Bad System Config Info error is fixed or not.
4. Correct the boot configuration data
BCD, short for Boot Configuration Data, is responsible for handling the boot data required at each boot. It keeps the information under
EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD. And now, when this file is corrupted, you get BSOD error like Bad System Config Info on Windows 11. So, you need to follow these steps to fix the BCD.
1. Boot again into the recovery menu and open it Troubleshooting -> Command Prompt.
2. Here, run the following commands one by one Repair and restore BCD. Now some commands may take some time to finish. So be patient.
bootrec /rebuildbcd bootrec /repairbcd bootrec /osscan bootrec /repairmbr
3. Once done, Restart your PC and check whether the Windows 11 Bad System Config Info error is fixed or not.
5. Repair the corrupted registry
If you are still facing Bad System Config Info error on Windows 11, it could be caused by a corrupted registry. To fix this, you can restore a clean backup of the registry using Command Prompt in the recovery menu. Here’s how to do it.
1. First, open the command prompt from the recovery menu. After that, run the following command to go to the “config” folder under the C drive.
2. Now run the following commands One after the other. This will rename all important registry files including Default, SAM, Security, Software and System.
ren C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.old ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM SAM.old ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.old ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.old
3. After the registry files have been renamed, you can do so Copy clean registry backups into the “config” folder. The registry backup files are available in the RegBack folder. Just run the following commands one by one.
copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\Windows\System32\config\ copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM C:\Windows\System32\config\ copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY C:\Windows\System32\config\ copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM C:\Windows\System32\config\ copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE C:\Windows\System32\config\
4. Finally, Close the CMD window and restart your PC. This time, the BSOD error 0x74 should be fixed on your Windows 11 PC.
6. Use System Restore
If none of the above methods fixed the Bad System Config Info error on your PC, now you need to use System Restore on Windows 11. This will take your PC back in time, but at least you’ll get a working system again. Remember that any changes made to files and folders between your current time and the system restore time will be lost. If you are ok with losing some data, continue with this method.
1. Open the recovery menu by following the instructions above and switch “Troubleshooting“.
2. Click here on “system recovery“.
3. On the next screen Choose the most recent restore point and click Next. Finally, Windows 11 will start restoring the system and files to the mentioned date.
4. Now restart your Windows 11 PC and the Bad System Config Info (0x74) error should be resolved.
7. Reset the PC
If you’re still getting the Error 0x74 or Bad System Config Info error in Windows 11, you may need to reset the PC as a last resort. This process will not affect files and folders from other drives, but will erase C drive including files and folders on desktop, documents, downloads, etc. With this in mind, you can factory reset your Windows 11 PC without your to delete personal files.
1. Boot to the recovery screen by following the instructions above. After that select Troubleshoot and click “Reset this PC“.
2. On the next screen, select “keep my files‘ and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Finally, your PC will restart and a clean copy of Windows 11 will be newly installed on your computer. Hopefully now you won’t face the Bad System Config Info error on Windows 11.
Fix error 0x74 on Windows 11 immediately
So, these are the proven methods to help you fix error 0x74 on Windows 11. As we mentioned above, restarting the PC often solves the problem automatically. However, if that doesn’t work then go through other solutions especially registry fix. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you want to clean install Windows 11 to have a bug-free experience, check out our in-depth tutorial. And in case you’re having trouble with a black or blank screen on Windows 11 after the update, we have a guide to fix it. If you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.