Sending sensitive information over the Internet? Get it censored with PDF Redactor for Windows.
When sending a PDF file, sometimes you need to hide sensitive information that you don’t want others to see. And when you need to do this all the time, it helps to have an easy way to do it. On Windows, you can use a free program called PDF Redactor to redact PDF quickly.
Here’s how to download and use PDF Redactor on Windows to hide sensitive information.
Here’s how to download and install PDF Redactor
Downloading PDF Redactor is free, but you cannot use it for commercial purposes and your redacted PDF will have a digital watermark in the upper left corner. If you want to use it commercially and remove the watermark, you need to upgrade to the paid version. But if these limitations don’t bother you, then the free version should do the trick.
Follow the steps below to download and install the free version of PDF Redactor:
- Go to the PDF Redactor homepage and click Download the free version now.
- Go to the download location and double click on the installer.
- click Yes at the UAC prompt.
- Follow the instructions to finish installing PDF Redactor on your Windows computer.
How to redact or delete text with PDF Redactor
To hide sensitive information with PDF Redactor, you can redact or delete the text. Redacting it places a black overlay over the text to hide it, and deleting it removes the text and leaves the background behind. In either case, the reader will not be able to tell what text was there.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Launch PDF Redactor and click Open PDF top left.
- In the dialog box, navigate to the folder where the PDF file you want to edit is located, select it and click on it Open.
- click Black or Extinguish in the top menu – you will notice that the cursor now becomes a plus sign in the text area.
- Click and drag to select an area of the PDF that you want to redact – you can select more areas if you like. And if you accidentally selected an area, just click on the selection and then click Delete selected in the right panel.
- click Save PDF in the top menu.
- Give the redacted PDF file a name, select the location where you want to save it and click Save on computer.
- You will be asked if you want to upgrade to the Pro version to remove the watermark. click no.
- The selected text will now be redacted or erased depending on what you selected in step 3. In the screenshot below, you can see both redacted and deleted text.
Now you can access the redacted PDF in the location where you saved it. As mentioned before, it will have a watermark and if you want to remove it, if you don’t want to get the Pro version, please read our guide on the best free PDF watermark removal tools online.
A quick and easy way to hide sensitive data in PDFs
As you can see, it is not difficult to redact PDF so no one can read sensitive information in it. Just download PDF Redactor on your Windows computer and darken or delete any text you want to hide. After redacting, you can send the PDF file to the intended reader without worrying that they will read something they are not supposed to read.