Before the announcement of the Minecraft 1.20 update, all the bookshelves in the game were purely decorative. They looked like bookshelves but had no way to store books inside. The only practical purpose of these bookshelves was to power the adorable table in Minecraft. With the upcoming update, a lot will change. As silly as it sounds, you can finally store books on bookshelves in the game. All you have to do is figure out how to build a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft and bring your home library to life.
How to make a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft (2022)
note: The sculpted bookshelf is currently only available as an experimental feature in Minecraft 1.20 Beta and 22w42a Snapshot. Everything from their texture to their mechanics may change in the final version.
What is a sculpted bookshelf
The sculpted bookshelf is a Memory block in Minecraft With it you can store “book and pen”, written books, normal books and even enchanted books. Each bookshelf can hold up to six books at a time. The number of books is displayed visually on the sculpted bookshelf, although there is no visual indicator of each book’s type.
Additionally, unlike utility blocks or other storage blocks, there is also no unique user interface available for this block. Instead, you have to go straight to the sculpted bookshelf and place books on it. But more on that later.
Items required to craft a Carved Bookshelf
You just need to collect the following items to create a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft:
You can use any type of wood in minecraft to make the sculpted bookshelf. The boards don’t even have to use the same type of wood in this crafting recipe. For those who don’t know, you can now easily get planks by placing logs in the crafting area. However, if you want to use bamboo wood in Minecraft, you need to combine four pieces of bamboo. See the linked guide for more information.
Meanwhile, you need to place three planks next to each other on any row of the crafting area to make wooden panels. Three wooden planks make six wooden panels. We only need three panels to build a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft.
Carved Bookshelf crafting recipe in Minecraft
Once you have gathered all the materials, follow the steps below to craft a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft:
1. First, Complete the middle row of the handicraft area with wooden panels.
2. Then, Place wooden boards in all remaining cells of the craft area. You must fill in the top and bottom rows completely. And well, the result will be the sculpted bookshelf.
How to use a sculpted Minecraft bookshelf
Using a sculpted bookshelf is easy in Minecraft. Follow these steps to quickly familiarize yourself with this new in-game item:
1. First, equip the sculpted bookshelf in your inventory and place it on a flat surface.
2. Then equip the book-based item you want to put in the sculpted bookshelf and Right-click or use the secondary action button on the sculpted bookshelf. The sculpted bookshelf fills up every time you place an item.
3. If you wish Take back any book from the carved bookshelf, you need to right click on it or use the secondary action key. Just make sure you’re not holding another book-based item while doing it. Not to mention, the sculpted bookshelf follows a stacking order. The item placed last is therefore removed first.
Other uses of the sculpted bookshelf
Once all your books are in place, you can also use the sculpted bookshelves in the following ways:
- Fuel: As a wooden item, you can use the Carved Bookcase as fuel in furnaces and blast furnaces.
- Decorative: Just like the normal bookshelf, this new block also functions as a decorative block. In fact, thanks to the semi-filled variety, it can be used to create a more realistic library.
- Red stone signal: The Carved Bookshelf will emit a Redstone signal based on the number of items stored. This signal can be detected and evaluated using a redstone comparator.
Create and use a sculpted bookshelf in Minecraft
Whether you’re upgrading your Minecraft house ideas or just want a new in-game storage option, the new sculpted bookshelves have got your back. But they are just one of the exciting new features of the Minecraft 1.20 update. You can read our dedicated guide to learn more about all the features we expect in the upcoming update. That being said, do you think bookshelves are better than sculpted bookshelves? Tell us in the comments below!