How to Upload a Document to ChatGPT (2023 Guide)
OpenAI has added several interesting features to ChatGPT, including web browsing support and plugins. However, there is still no way to natively upload a document and ask questions from its context. Sure, some users can train an AI chatbot using their data, but not everyone has the understanding to set up tools and libraries. So if you are looking for an easy way to upload a document to ChatGPT, this tutorial will help you. We have integrated five different ways to upload PDF, Word, Excel and other documents to ChatGPT.
Upload a document to ChatGPT for free using an extension
We know that OpenAI has not yet added native functionality to upload documents and files to ChatGPT. However, with a cool ChatGPT Chrome extension, you can upload different file types to ChatGPT and it works flawlessly. The extension is called ChatGPT File Uploader Extended and it allows uploading multiple document formats including TXT, JS, PY, HTML, CSS, JSON, CSV, MD, TS, TSX, JSX, PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, and ZIP. To learn how it works, follow the steps below.
1. Proceed with the installation ChatGPT file uploader enhanced Extension via the link here. It is completely free to use and works with any Chromium-based browser.
2. Now just open the ChatGPT website (visit) and a “Upload button. appears at the bottom right.
3. Click the and button Select the document you want to upload. Among the popular document formats, it supports PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLSX, TXT and more.
4. Now it will Start editing your document automatically.
5. After a while, the AI chatbot will do this create a summary of the document.
6. Now you can ask questions, and ChatGPT will reply from the uploaded document. How cool is that?
7. i tested Word files, Excel spreadsheets, PDF documents and more, and everything was successfully processed. However, note that documents with scanned images cannot be processed.
8. You can also click Settings icon. next to the Upload button and increase the block size if you have a large document. You can also customize prompts, ZIP file settings, and more.
Upload a PDF file to ChatGPT via a third-party website
If you want to upload a PDF file to ChatGPT, you can take a look (visit) chatpdf.com. It’s a great service that uses the ChatGPT API to process and parse PDF files. The best part is that you don’t need to add your API key.
For free users, the service allows up to 120 pages per PDF file (10MB or less) and Three PDF file uploads in one day. You can ask up to 50 questions per day. If you choose the Plus subscription ($5 per month), you can upload up to 2,000 pages per PDF document to this ChatGPT website. Here’s how to use it.
1. Go to chatpdf.com (visit) and click “Drop PDF here” to upload your PDF document.
2. You can too Enter the URL of a PDF file To do this, use the “From URL” link below.
3. It will Process the PDF document depending on the file size within a few seconds.
4. First, a summary of the document is displayed with three suggested questions. You can also ask your questions below and chat with the PDF file.
For those who don’t know, Microsoft has added a ChatGPT-based Bing sidebar (aka Discover) to its Edge browser. It is one of the best AI tools that allows you to analyze documents without even uploading the file. Just open the document in Microsoft Edge and the file will be processed automatically. Thats how it works.
1. Start Microsoft Edge and open the PDF file by pressing “Ctrl + O”. You can also open the web version of Microsoft Office or Google Docs or even a web page.
2. Now click on Bing sidebar button and start asking questions. You can start with a summary that provides a contextualized answer from the document opened in this tab.
3. You can ask more questions, and it continues to be answered from within the document itself. You can also click “Reply from this site instead” if replying from the web.
Analyze PDF or text documents with ChatGPT plugins
If you subscribed to ChatGPT Plus, you can now use the latest GPT 4 version and ChatGPT plugins to upload and read any type of document. You need to enable ChatGPT plugins to access the documents. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. First, open the ChatGPT website (visit it) and activate the ChatGPT plugins by following our linked guide.
2. Next go to “GPT-4” model. From here, click on the “Plugins” option.
2. Now open the “plugin store” via the drop down menu.
3. Here go to the “All” section and look for “Ask your PDF” plugin and install it. You can also try the Link Reader plugin, which works similarly.
4. Next Enable AskYourPDF via the arrow icon once the plugin is installed.
5. Finally, Enter the document link in ChatGPT and you can ask any question you want.
6. If you wish Upload your own documentrun the following command prompt and you will get a link to upload the file.
upload a document
7. Open the link and here you can upload different ones document formatsincluding PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, PPT, PPTX, CSV, EPUB and RTF.
8. You will now see a document identification. copy it This allows you to continue chatting with the document in the ChatGPT interface.
9. Just paste the document ID and ask your questions. This will automatically identify your uploaded document and only allow you to ask questions about that specific document.
Upload a document to ChatGPT using BookGPT
Finally, there is also a BookGPT project on Hugging Face that allows you to upload an entire book. If you have a large document, this project is for you. It uses ChatGPT’s API to process and parse the document. The only downside is that you need to add your OpenAI API key. Thats how it works.
1. First, log in to your OpenAI account from here. If you don’t have an account yet, create a free account.
2. Then click “Create a new secret key” and copy the API key. If you’ve used up your free API credit, you’ll need to add a card to use it.
3. Next, open the BookGPT project and Paste the OpenAI API key at the bottom.
4. Then add or remove the URL of the PDF document Upload a local PDF file to ChatGPT. Now ask your questions and click on “Send”.
5. Within a few seconds, the document will be processed and you will receive an Answer by quoting the page numbers. Isn’t that cool? You can now ask more questions.
frequently asked Questions
OpenAI has not yet added a native option to upload a file to the ChatGPT interface. However, with the support of plugins, API keys, extensions and other third-party services, you can actually upload a file to ChatGPT.
Yes, you can load a PDF file into ChatGPT using plugins. Additionally, you can use a Chrome extension, OpenAI API key, or ChatGPT-based websites to seamlessly load PDF files.