One of the surprise youngsters of the 2021-22 season, the Memphis Grizzlies will host the New York Knicks, a team looking to get back on track in the Eastern Conference, in both teams’ first game of the new 2022 season. 23rd NBA season.
Yes, Morant, now a household name in the NBA, comes off a season not only catching action in his first All-Star game, but also a year in which he was named the 2021-22 NBA Most Improved Player became. A dynamic and insane athlete at the point guard position, Morant is a must-see on TV every time he takes the field.
While without Jaren Jackson Jr. at the start of the new season, the Grizzlies still have Desmond Bane and Dillon Brooks on the fringes, two key two-way options this team must capitalize on at both ends of the parquet.
On the other hand, the Knicks come into this game looking to start the new year with a win, something they’ve only done once in the last three seasons.
RJ Barrett and Julius Randle return to New York and Jalen Brunson will make his debut with the team after landing a four-year, $104 million deal in free agency last offseason. They may be a team that many have pointed and laughed at over the years, but the Knicks have a chance to shock many this year, especially in a loaded Eastern Conference.
The 2022-23 NBA season is about to begin and here’s how to watch Wednesday’s game with game times and TV, lineups, bios and other important details.
How to watch Knicks vs Grizzlies
- WHO: New York Knicks (0-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (0-0)
- IF: 7:30 p.m. ET, Wednesday October 19, 2022
- WHERE: FedEx Forum
- TV: ESPN
- Stream: Fubo.tv CLICK HERE
Key stats and facts for Knicks vs. Grizzlies
- The Memphis Grizzlies earned 2nd place in the Western Conference last season after ending the 2021-22 season with a 56-26 record, matching their franchise record for single-season wins.
- The New York Knicks failed to make the playoffs for the eighth time in the past nine seasons after finishing the 2021-22 season with a 37-45 record.
- The Grizzlies are home 5-14 times in the season opener.
- The Pelicans are 17-18 years old at season openers.
- Memphis defeated New York in two regular-season matchups a season ago, beating the Knicks by a total of 16 points.
March 11, 2022 – Grizzlies 118, Knicks 114
On the road in Memphis, the Knicks narrowly held that game thanks to 36 points and 12 rebounds from Julius Randle, but Ja Morant’s 37 points and 8 assists performance was too much for New York to overcome. Jaren Jackson Jr. and Ziaire Williams each scored 13 points for Memphis while RJ Barrett scored 23 points for New York. Despite the loss, the Knicks managed to outplay the Grizzlies by 11 points at the free-throw line.
Latest injury reports:
Curtsy: Quentin Grimes (foot) – QUESTIONABLE, Obi Toppin (undisclosed) – LIKELY
Grizzlies: Jaren Jackson Jr. (foot) – AUS, Danny Green (knee – ACL) – AUS, Ziaire Williams (knee) – AUS, Dillon Brooks (left thigh pain) – DOUBT
PROJECTED KNICKS STARTERS (2021-22 regular season stats):
- G Jalen Brunson6-foot-1 guard: 11.9 points, 3.7 assists
- G/F Evan Fournier6-7 guard/forward: 14.1 points, 2.6 rebounds
- F RJ Barrett6-6 forward: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds
- F. Julius Randle6-8 forward: 20.1 points, 9.9 rebounds, 5.1 assists
- C Mitchell Robinson, 6-11 middle: 8.5 points. 8.6 setbacks
PROBABLE GRIZZZLIES STARTERS (2021-22 regular season stats):
- G Yes Morant6-3 guard: 27.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 6.7 assists
- G Desmond Bane6-5 guard: 18.2 points, 4.4 rebounds
- F. Dillon Brooks (D)6-7 forward: 18.4 points, 3.2 rebounds
- F Brandon Clarke6-80 forward: 10.4 points, 5.3 rebounds
- C Steven Adams6-11 middle: 6.9 points, 10.0 rebounds
- According to FanDuel Sportsbook, the Grizzlies are currently 6-point favorites over the Bulls as of Tuesday afternoon.
- The over/under for this matchup is currently set at 226 total points.
What to look out for:
- Grizzlies Ja Morant won the 2021-22 NBA Most Improved Player Award, averaging 27.4 points, 5.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists per game.
- Memphis was one of five teams to finish in the top-10 in both offense and defense a season ago.
- The Grizzlies are 26-24 all-time against the Knicks.
- The Knicks only averaged 106.6 points per game to their opponents during the 2021-22 season, while the Grizzlies averaged 109.9 points per game to their opponents.