New midfielder linked & sporting director ruled out – Latest LFC News – Liverpool FC
Thursday’s Liverpool news roundup has mixed reports about the search for a new sporting director and links to another young midfielder.
Monaco sporting director ‘barred’ from Liverpool move
Liverpool appeared to have intensified their search for a new sporting director, identifying recruitment expert Paul Mitchell as their main target, but later reports suggest he is now out of the running.
The Independent’s chief football writer Miguel Delaney has reported that while Liverpool had considered Mitchell for the position, he is no longer a contender.
Mitchell, who is set to leave his post at Monaco this summer, has been linked with a move to Liverpool and talks were rumored to be likely to start in the coming weeks.
The latest reports say Man United could be looking to appoint the 41-year-old, with Sir Jim Ratcliffe-led consortium INEOS reportedly planning an approach for Mitchell should their takeover bid be successful.
It’s a tough story to keep up with, who knows what will happen next?
Midfielder linked with Liverpool & Gerrard returns to the Legends squad
- Liverpool are ready to pay the €40m release clause for Celta Vigo midfielder Gabri Veiga, according to El Nacional, with the 20-year-old also said to be a target for Real Madrid
- Cody Gakpo has withdrawn from the Netherlands squad due to illness but is expected to be available for Liverpool’s return against Man City
- Caoimhin Kelleher had a mixed fortune in the Republic of Ireland’s 3-2 home win against Latvia, with a few mistakes leading to an early comeback for the visitors
- Harvey Davies, Jarell Quansah and Dominic Corness each helped England Under-20s keep a clean sheet in their 2-0 win over Germany
What else has happened?
- Harry Kane could become England’s all-time top scorer if he tops the table in tonight’s clash with Italy (The Independent)
- Roberto Mancini has insisted his time at Man City was ‘everything fine’ following allegations of financial breaches at the club (Goal)
- Barcelona’s troubles continue as UEFA set to investigate payments made to the former vice-president of the Spanish Referees’ Committee (BBC).
Tweet of the day and game of the night
Check out our latest teaser on Liverpool’s top assist-makers under Jurgen Klopp and see if you can name the missing two:
??? Fill this ??????! pic.twitter.com/l1NL6cYHZC
– This is Anfield (@thisisanfield) March 23, 2023
England travel to Naples tonight to play Italy in a Euro qualifier. Kick-off is at 19:45 (GMT) but you can catch full coverage on Channel 4 from 19:00.