The private funeral service for Const. Andrew Hong will be held on Wednesday, September 21 at 12pm at the Toronto Congress Center (TCC), North Building, 1020 Martin Grove Road.
Hong died on Monday September 12 during a shooting spree in Mississauga, Milton and Hamilton. He served as a member of the Toronto Police Service for 22 years. He leaves behind his wife, two children and his parents.
The funeral service will be attended by Constable Hong’s family, guests, members of the Toronto Police Service and representatives from other police services, emergency responders and officers. The public will not be admitted to the service but can view it online, TPS confirmed in a press release Tuesday, Sept. 20.
“While we appreciate the public’s support, the funeral is not public and will include other police services and emergency responders,” Toronto Police said in a previous statement.
Toronto Police will live stream the funeral service via their YouTube channel.
The public is also invited to watch the funeral procession as it makes its way from the Kane-Jarrett Funeral Home at 8088 Yonge St. to the Toronto Congress Centre.
The trip is expected to begin at about 9:25 a.m. but is subject to change, TPS said in the Sept. 20 news release. The planned itinerary is:
TCC Funeral Home:
• Northbound Yonge Street
• Westbound Highway 407 ETR
• Highway 27 southbound
• Eastbound Steeles Avenue
• Southbound Martin Grove Road
The public can view the procession from the following Hwy 407 overpasses:
• Bathurst Street
• Dufferin Street
• Keele Street
• Jane Street
• Weston Street
• Pine Valley Drive
• Islington Ave
The following road closures are in effect as of Wednesday 21 September at 6:30am:
• Martin Grove Road – full closure from Dixon Road to Belfield Road at 6.30am
• Martin Grove Road – Dixon Road to Bethridge Boulevard closed at 7:30am
• Belfield Road – Full closure at 7:30 am and restricted or screened access from Hwy. 27 to Martin Grove Road and Kipling Avenue to Martin Grove Road, no one may cross Martin Grove Road from 7:30am until the end of the ceremony
• Hwy 409 – East and West ramps will close to Martin Grove Road at 6:30 am
• Hwy 401 – West onramp will close at 6:30 am to Martin Grove Road
Traffic control measures are intended to facilitate the flow of traffic in the area.
Detour route plans are attached. Please check the TTC website for redirect updates at TTC.ca.
The road closures will end once the funeral procession has left the Martin Grove Road lane at around 1pm