The best donuts in Canada are in Vancouver, BC: Ranking
As many as 9 of the top 25 donut shops in the country are in or near Metro Vancouver
There’s no doubt Vancouver is a city that loves its donuts.
From Lee’s classic glazed and filled donuts to Deep Cove’s Honey’s specialty donuts, Metro Vancouver has more than enough cute, sweet spots for beloved fried (or baked) treats. There’s even a tasting tour where you can try donuts in downtown Vancouver.
Yelp recently published its list of the best donut places in Canada, listing 25 delicious places that will please any donut lover.
Of all the delicious donuts, it was the cream-filled Korean-style brioche donuts at Mello in Vancouver that were fluffy as clouds and took first place. Mello first welcomed customers to his small, minimalist cafe in Chinatown in late 2019. Their soft, decadent donuts come in a variety of flavors, with fillings like lemon curd, tiramisu, granola milk, and strawberries and cream — they even have an all-bagel donut (and it’s amazing). Last year Mello opened a second bakery cafe in the Kerrisdale area.
Where to get the best donuts in and around Vancouver
Elsewhere in the region, Lee’s (3), Cartems (4), Lucky’s/49th Latitude (5), and Duffin’s (24) made the list to represent Vancouver itself, with neighboring donut hotspots Harmony (18) and Honey’s ( 23). North Vancouver, Scent & Co Bakehouse (21) in Abbotsford and Outpost Mini Donut Company (22) in Richmond join the ranks.
Yelp explains that the user-generated review site used to compile its top 25 donut spots in Canada “identified companies in the donut category and then ranked those spots based on a number of factors, including total volume and ratings of reviews between Jan. January.” , 2022 and March 31, 2023. This list looked at companies in Canada. All businesses were marked as open on Yelp as of May 1, 2023.” Yelp also notes that “where available, all businesses on this list have a passing health assessment as of May 1, 2023.”
This isn’t the first time a Vancouver spot has ranked #1 on a nationwide Yelp list. Earlier this year, hidden gem restaurant Northern Cafe & Grill was ranked number one in Yelp’s “Canada’s Top 100 Places to Eat in 2023” ranking.
25 top donut spots in Canada
- HelloVancouver, British Columbia
- police officersToronto, Ont
- Lee’s donutsVancouver, British Columbia
- Cartem’s donutsVancouver, British Columbia
- 49. Parallel coffeeVancouver, British Columbia
- SuzyQ DonutsOttowa, Ontario
- Craving for donutsWhitby, Ontario
- Isabella’s Mochi Donut BoutiqueToronto, Ont
- immersedToronto, Ont
- bronutWinnipeg, Manitoba
- Daddy O Donuts and British BakeryMississauga, Ont
- Beech wood donutsSt Catharines, Ontario
- target donutsEdmonton, Alberta
- take fiveEdmonton, Alberta
- Donut MonsterHamilton, Ontario
- The Donut MillDeer, Alberta
- Country Fresh Donuts and moreNiagara Falls, Ontario
- Harmony Donut ShopNorth Vancouver, British Columbia
- Glory Hole DonutsToronto, Ont
- Léché dessertsMontréal, Quebec
- Fragrance & Co BackhausAbbotsford, British Columbia
- Outpost Mini Donut CompanyRichmond, British Columbia
- Honey donuts and treatsNorth Vancouver, British Columbia
- Duffin’s DonutsVancouver, British Columbia
- donut partyEdmonton, Alberta
Watch: Tasting the Everything Bagel Donut at Mello’s
@forkingawesomevia 🥯+ 🍩 A donut that tastes like an everything bagel with cream cheese? Yes! We got this in #vancouverbc (PS: my hair was a paid extra) #forkingawesome #donuts 🎙️@LindsayWR ♬ Sunshine – WIRA