What Are Reddit Coins? How to Get and Use Them
Reddit is used by hundreds of millions of people around the world who are either creators or users. One of the ways it encourages them is through Reddit Coins.
These are small thank you awards you can give to users whose posts or comments are helpful to either you or the Reddit community.
Reddit Coins are neither physical coins nor cryptocurrency tokens and are not connected to the blockchain in any way. In this article you will find everything you need to know about Reddit coins, what they are and how to use them.
What are Reddit Coins?
Formerly known as credits, Reddit Coins are virtual coins that you can gift to others in the form of awards for exceptional posts or comments on Reddit. It’s a different way of saying thank you, similar to Reddit Trophies.
Reddit Coins can be exchanged for various types of award medals, including Silver, Gold, Platinum, Argentium, and Ternion. A Silver prize costs 100 coins, a Gold prize 500 coins, a Platinum prize 1,800 coins, an Argentium prize 20,000 coins and a Ternion prize 50,000 coins.
The process of gilding a coin is called gilding. Not only is it a way to show appreciation, but it also encourages creators and commenters to continue contributing their quota to the growth of the Reddit community.
You can buy Reddit Coins with fiat currency through PayPal or credit card. Prices start at $1.99 all the way up to $199. However, Reddit Coins are currently not redeemable. Reddit is working to add new ways to spend coins in the future. In the meantime, all you can do is forgive them.
If you gold a silver award, the recipient’s post or comment will receive a silver icon that will be displayed for all to see. For a Gold Award, the recipient gets a week of Reddit Premium membership plus 100 coins. A Platinum Award gives the recipient a month of premium membership and 700 coins for the month.
An Argentium Award gives the recipient 2,500 Reddit Coins and three months of R/Lounge access and ad-free browsing. A Ternion Award, on the other hand, gives 5,000 Reddit coins, six months of R/Lounge access, and ad-free browsing.
How to get and use Reddit Coins
There are three main ways to get Reddit Coins. First, Reddit can give away coins on rare special occasions.
Second, other users can gift you a gold or platinum award that comes with 100 or 700 coins respectively. However, coins are not transferrable via usernames.
Third, you can always get Reddit Coins by buying them yourself. This is the fastest, easiest and most guaranteed way to get coins.
How to buy Reddit Coins
How to buy Reddit Coins yourself:
- Visit the Reddit Coins page. On your first visit you may be offered 450 bonus coins if you buy 1,800 coins for $5.99. Just click if you like it Buy.
- Otherwise, close the offer, scroll down the page to your preferred price tier and click the blue price tag.
- Choose your preferred payment method. Options include PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- Follow the instructions and make your payment.
- Once you do this, the corresponding amount of coins will be deposited into your Reddit account.
To check how many coins you have:
- Go to your Reddit account and click your profile pic.
- Go down the menu options and click coins.
You can even just view it from the menu options without clicking. However, if you click through, you’ll see more details.
How to use Reddit Coins
So you now have Reddit Coins in your account, what next? Remember that you can give it away as an award. How to use your Reddit coins by gilding:
- Search or browse Reddit for a helpful comment or post that you really like and want to support.
- Below that you will see several buttons, below that poll, answer, and more. Click on give award.
- From the reward options, click medals and make your selection. You have the option to make your donation anonymous.
- Click on Next and complete the transaction from your Coins balance.
- If your Coins balance is 0 (zero), you will be prompted to make a payment to complete the transaction.
Use your Reddit coins effectively
Although you cannot currently trade or exchange Reddit Coins in real life, you can use them to encourage Redditors and support Reddit.
Facebook recently launched its Stars program, which allows users to give away stars to creators similar to Reddit Coins. However, unlike Reddit Coins, creators can actually cash out on Facebook Stars. Relax Redditors, maybe your time will come.